Tuesday 30 August 2016

Northney drift...

...that'd be right then...

Early'ish tide on Monday which was a public holiday in England (and a few others of the home nations, but not Scotland) so I opted to get out to the boat for an early session before having to resume grandson sitting duties for eldest who was working..

F3 gusting F4 north westerly's was what was forecast - perfect - what we got was sub F1, very very occasional F2, but they did at least get the direction right....

So an enjoyable 3 hours going almost nowhere at about a half to three quarters of a knot...  but it was better than working, I had a flask of coffee, and the sun came out....

I did spot this boat which I thought was quite interesting - it's a Romilly [clicky]; free standing (carbon) masts - she looks almost Middle Eastern...


..the mizzen can be used as a main in the tender available from the same builder which I think is a clever idea....

After elegantly pirouetting through 360' as the tide washed me gently this way and that under no control whatsoever, I decided enough was enough, and returned to the mooring under motor for a cup of tea...!
   
Log:


Distance: 4.12 (year to date in the mileage page above)
Wind:  F1 and NW'ly (local weather station shows 0's for speed and direction for almost all the time I was out!)
Sail Plan: Full main, full genoa; engine for getting back to the mooring when I gave up
Speed: Maximum was 4.9 knots (under engine almost certainly) average speed 1.5 knots

7 comments:

  1. Definitely better than working :) You've been busy since I last looked. Are you going to the boat show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watcha Phil - not as busy as you.. :o) Hoping to, no idea when yet....

      Delete
  2. Out on the water no matter what the wind strength is always worthwhile - excellent idea re the mizzen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alden - clever for sure - and ties you in to the brand...

      Your blog is quiet - which is not like you - what are you up to - new boat build plans or gearing up for your summer cruising??? :o)

      Delete
  3. I have been busy fitting wooden slats to Mariners dinghy among other things - I seem to do the blogging in fits and starts - there is a new posting on the canoe yawl "Autumn Leaves" I put up the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .... that's a wooden slat floor... I have pretensions of making this fiberglass clinker workhorse dinghy into a little sailing dinghy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that canoe yawl is very sweet... time is short.. start building (and blogging) it! :o))

      Delete