Thursday 22 January 2015

Icy blasts are definitely disincentivising..

... you wouldn't want to try saying that after a couple of pints of "Hole Hearted" [clicky] 🍻

First post of the new year, so let me be the last to wish any readers a "Happy New Year", to the sailors among you, "fair winds for 2015"...

...disincentivising?? Purely down to the cold really - not so much the effect on me, though I'll be the first say I prefer being on the boat in a pair of shorts and a tshirt, but more because of the effects on the materials I need to be wielding..  glue doesn't stick well, paint doesn't dry well, varnish same, epoxy needs another 10 to 15' C minimum before it even thinks about going off...  lots to do but I'm going to have to wait a while yet...  can't even take stuff home and work on them in the garage as I don't have any heating, though I am thinking of bringing the tender home to give it a bit of a titivate....

Went to visit "Sparrow" this morning - the bin bags are working, just a small quarter inch puddle in the usual place (bilges under the cockpit step) - itching to get to work on her....

In the meanwhile - here's a memory from last summer..  roll on the next one, and just to ratchet up the pressure a little more - the launch date countdown timer has been ...  errr...  launched 



2 comments:

  1. I'm entirely in agreement. Its too cold to do much aboard my boat at the moment. The high winds make it difficult to row out to her to get on board. Plus the damp affects everything, my electrics have started playing up at the moment and need some work now. On the plus side the days are getting noticeably longer. I got out of work today and it wasn't pitch dark! Another month and I'll be able to work on the boat after work again. Tides and weather permitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed... beginning to get an increasingly urgent urge to get on... the countdown clock widget always does that to me! I may get down this weekend and start slapping some paint around the cabin... I can always deploy a fan heater.... I also want to experiment with some Oxalic acid on the hull - damp/cold will be good for that.....

      Delete