Friday 17 May 2013

Netley Boat Jumble...

....weather has been pants round here for the last few weeks and the all too short trip out a couple of weeks ago seems like months ago. Tides are either rubbish, or when they're good it's too windy/wet...  overnight Tuesday we had gusts of Force 9, and a months rain fall in one day - I saw a gust of force 10 off the entrance to the harbour....  and it's cold...  and and and.... 😏

So last Sunday was an afternoon tide, but with a windy forecast, I decided to forego the sail and go to a sale (good eh..) as it was the yearly boat jumble at Netley - glad I did as I have a number of items I was looking for...  either way a very productive shopping trip, spending a fraction of what I would have done for new....
  • pad eyes - I wanted one to allow me to lead the main halyard and topping lift back to the cockpit following an idea Jellybean Phil saw on a fellow bloggers site....managed to get two practically new for a pound each...
  • double block - for the same project - couple of quid - deal done!
  • jamming block for the kicking strap (like the one right) - bargain this one - couple of quid for the same block I've seen for £15 in the chandlers.....  saved my petrol and entry on this one alone... double block with integral jammer allow more easy adjustment of the kicker while sailing..
  • boat hook - didn't have one on the boat, wanted a nice heavy traditional one like the one that went with Pap - saw just the one I wanted as the chap in front of me picked it up and parted with the cash... 😁  N'er mind got a totally suitable standby for a fiver...... 
  • obligatory rope and stuff - 16mtrs of 6mm (for the roller furling) and some more bungee (sail ties this time) for £10..  difficult to beat.......
So all in all a good result...  boat hook was given 3 coats of varnish and has already been used in anger (see later) the other stuff will be fitted as and when I get time...

No comments:

Post a Comment