Wednesday 17 April 2013

Forestay fix....

More work over the weekend...  

You may remember that when I got the boat the back stay had a piece of line wrapped round the lower stay to provide tension...  like this....


The bottom part of the stay was clearly too long so the fix was to take it to my local rigger and have 4" taken out of it - job was a good'un.... or so I thought .....

Just before launch I was doing some additional checks and I found that the forestay was attached to the boat by two small'ish (rusty) shackles - you can't clearly see it in this picture but trust me - they were nasty....


So on Sunday I let off the backstay - cranked on some down haul with the main sheet (using the main halyard) and removed the shackles and re-attached the furler with clevis pin and washers - job's a good'un!

Having let the forestay pressure off however, I found out why the lower backstay had been so long (grrrrrrrr....) - it was right all along for a properly connected forestay - DOH!

A rummage around in the spares box found some spare shackles so it is now reconnected - this weekend I'll go down and make it good with a spare bottle screw I have......

A check of the rest of the rigging shows I need a number of new split pins/rings to secure other clevis pins...

Next on the list (after this) is to plug the leaks - no boat is ever completely water tight, but a little too much rain is getting in.....

I also need to complete the curtain hanging...

No comments:

Post a Comment